Tuesday 11 March 2014

Monody to the Sound of Zithers by Kay Boyle



I have wanted other things more than lovers ...
I have desired peace, intimately to know
The secret curves of deep-bosomed contentment,
To learn by heart things beautiful and slow.
 
Cities at night, and cloudful skies, I've wanted; 
And open cottage doors, old colors and smells a part;
All dim things, layers of river-mist on river--
To capture Beauty's hands and lay them on my heart.
 
I have wanted clean rain to kiss my eyelids,
Sea-spray and silver foam to kiss my mouth. 
I have wanted strong winds to flay me with passion;
And, to soothe me, tired winds from the south.
 
These things have I wanted more than lovers...
Jewels in my hands, and dew on morning grass--
Familiar things, while lovers have been strangers. 
Friended thus, I have let nothing pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment